While on the topic of healthy grilling and barbecuing this week, here is something that comes together quickly and challenges the classic champion of the South - the barbecue sandwich. Signs everywhere up and down the southern U.S. corridor for barbecue pits are abundant. But, you probably won't find this sandwich on the menu. This is an imposter, a fake, as it contains none of the fatty pork or big bun. But, I don't think you will miss it. This is a tasty, filling and healthy alternative as it holds lots of vitamins A and C with the peppers and onions and selenium and immunity-boosting properties with the mushrooms. And, did I say it tastes great?
Organic produce is better if you can find them.
- 1 cup of barbecue sauce of choice
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 chipotle pepper, minced
- Dash of Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms (Portabello caps are ideal but a mix of mushroom varieties is great as well.)
- 1 large bell pepper, any color, diced
- 3/4 cup chopped green onions
- 4 large tortillas of choice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon high smoke oil, like rice bran
- 3/4 cup grated organic cheese of choice (Monterey Jack, Colby, or goat cheese) or Greek yogurt seasoned with a dash of cumin, garlic powder and sprinkle of salt.)
Now do this
- In medium sized bowl, stir together the barbecue sauce, lime juice vinegar, mustard, tomato paste, chipotle pepper, and Worcestershire Sauce.
- Saute with about 1/2 teaspoon of water, the mushrooms and bell pepper just until beginning to soften.
- Add mushrooms and pepper to sauce bowl and stir together.
- In small cup, combine cumin and garlic powder together and mix well.
- Heat grill pan with 1/4 tablespoon of the oil on medium.
- Sprinkle 1/4 spice mixture on oil and let warm together for a moment.
- Place one tortilla in pan and spoon 1/4 of filling on one side of tortilla.
- Sprinkle with 1/4 of green onions.
- Top filling with 1/4 of grated cheese or drizzle of yogurt.
- Once cheese or yogurt starts to melt and tortilla has nice crispy exterior on the bottom, lift unfilled half over filled half to create sandwhich.
- Carefully flip with large spatula to crisp other side.
- Repeat for remaining barbecue sandwiches.