Let me tell you about an easy swap I have made in our household lately. I feature other posts about these little exchanges you may want to make for better health often, but this one couldn't be easier and is with a simple shake.
The topic of salt is isn't the first it has made an appearance on the blog. I write about taking a bath in salt here and other uses for Epsom salt here, but, the salt that I am referring to here now is the salt you season with, the salt you may add to your food, the salt to bring your dishes alive.
Here is why I made the simple switch from white, regular table salt to Himalayan, pink salt and why you may want to as well!
Why Salt Is Important to Your Health
- Salt plays a role in our circulatory system to regulate our blood pressure and our heartbeat as well as help clear the lungs of mucous.
- Our nervous system needs salt as it plays a role in our nerve cells’ communication and information processing.
- The absorption of food in our intestines in our digestive system is helped along with the salt we consume.
- Our muscular system benefits from salt as it helps prevent muscle cramps.
3 Reasons To Toss Out Regular, White, Refined Table Salt Forever
1. Commercial refined salt is stripped of most of its minerals.
It is difficult to get all the minerals we need to run well each day. The refining process of regular salt only makes it that much harder. The refined salt only leaves sodium and chloride. Further, the mineral iodine typically added into processed salt is usually synthetic, which may be difficult for your body to process properly.
2. The white salt is white for a reason.
Bleach. Yes, this salt is chemically cleaned, bleached and heated at unnecessary high temperatures.. I wrote more about the cons of bleach here.
3. White, processed salt is not just salt.
Other agents are added like anti-caking agents to prevent salt from mixing with water in the salt container. These agents also prevent dissolving within our body too which may lead to build up and the depositing in places we do not want - organs and tissues. Another additive is aluminum silicate to keep maintain a powdery texture. Aluminum is toxic and shown as a potential causes of Alzheimer’s disease.
10+ Benefits to Switching to Himalayan Pink Salt
Another unrefined pink salt that I use can be found in in the United States in Utah. It originates from an ancient sea in Utah and claims to contain 62 minerals and is without additives, chemicals, or heat processing.
If you consider simply swapping out the salt in your shaker or cellar from the processed white granules to the pink, unprocessed granules, you are accessing more than 80 different minerals. Not bad for a simple shake or sprinkle. And, if you make that swap, those 80+ minerals can do these great things:
- Strengthen bones
- Improve circulation
- Prevent muscle cramping
- Create a better electrolyte balance
- Increases hydration
- Regulate water levels
- Aid in better metabolism
- Lower blood pressure
- Help the intestines absorb nutrients
- Prevent goiters