How Our Minds and Emotions Impact Our HealthMany feel your state of our mind and your emotions have a deep impact on your health. Our moods and outlook certainly contribute to our motivation, productivity and the success of our relationships, but our physical health, too. Optimal health does encompass the whole package - body, mind and soul! Look at how others have stated it so eloquently. Do any of these quotes resonate with you?
- The I in illness is isolation, and the crucial letters in wellness are we. -- Author unknown, as quoted in Mimi Guarneri, The Heart Speaks: A Cardiologist Reveals the Secret Language of Healing
- A sad soul can kill you quicker than a germ. -- John Steinbeck
- I am convinced that unconditional love is the most powerful known stimulant of the immune system. If I told patients to raise their blood levels of immune globulins or killer T cells, no one would know how. But if I can teach them to love themselves and others fully, the same changes happen automatically. The truth is: love heals. -- Bernie Siegel
- To avoid sickness eat less; to prolong life worry less. -- Chu Hui Weng
- To live without love, compassion, or any other spiritual value creates a state of such severe imbalance that every cell yearns to correct it. Ultimately, that is what lies behind the onset of disease; the body is sending a message that something lacking in the present—an imbalance existing somewhere—has given rise to highly visible, unarguable, physical symptoms. -- Deepak Chopra
- A bodily disease, which we look upon as whole and entire within itself, may, after all, be but a symptom of some ailment in the spiritual part. -- Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter
- Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity. -- World Health Organization, 1948
- Diseases of the soul are more dangerous and more numerous than those of the body. -- Cicero
- Illness is the result of imbalance. Imbalance is a result of forgetting who you are. Forgetting who you are creates thoughts and actions that lead to an unhealthy lifestyle and eventually to illness.... Illness can thus be understood as a lesson you have given yourself to help you remember who you are. -- Barbara Brenna
How To Best Spend Your Time For Optimal HealthSome see how we choose to spend our time is a prescription for good health. Our healthy habits can contribute to our state of health, certainly. But, perhaps we should we be kicking off our shoes and feeling the grass under our feet a lot more often, too! What do you think?
- My own prescription for health is less paperwork and more running barefoot through the grass. -- Terri Guillemets
- So many people spend their health gaining wealth and then have to spend their wealth to regain their health. -- A.J. Reb Materi, Our Family
- When it comes to eating right and exercising, there is no "I'll start tomorrow." Tomorrow is disease. -- Terri Guillements
- There's lots of people in this world who spend so much time watching their health that they haven't the time to enjoy it. -- Josh Billings
How To Best Stay Out of The Doctor's OfficePerhaps a bit more than an apple a day keeps the doctor away. Many have a lot to say on how to go about keeping out of the doctor's office best. What are your techniques and thoughts on that?
- A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures in the doctor's book. -- Irish Proverb
- It's bizarre that the produce manager is more important to my children's health than the pediatrician. -- Meryl Streep
- The marvelous pharmacy that was designed by nature and placed into our being by the universal architect produces most of the medicines we need. -- Norman Cousins
- The best six doctors anywhere/ And no one can deny it/ Are sunshine, water, rest and air/ Exercise and diet/ These six will gladly you attend/ If only you are willing/ Your mind they'll ease/ Your will they'll mend/ And charge you not a shilling. --Nursery rhyme quoted by Wayne Fields, What the River Knows
- He who takes medicine and neglects to diet wastes the skill of his doctors. -- Chinese Proverb
- Poor health is not caused by something you don't have; it's caused by disturbing something that you already have. Healthy is not something that you need to get, it's something you have already if you don't disturb it.-- Dean Ornish
- Fresh air impoverishes the doctor. -- Danish Proverb
- Each patient carries his own doctor inside him. They come to us now knowing this truth. We are at our best when they give the doctor who resides within each patient a chance to go to work. -- Albert Schweitzer
So, did any of these stand out to you? Please let me know in the comments or share a favorite quote that gives you inspiration or rings true for you!
Need a bit more?
- See what this guru has to say on clean eating.
- Here are a few productivity tools to help you run through the grass a bit more.
- Join in on Twitter, Pinterest, and Google+, too! Just click on the "connect box" in the upper right hand corner to link in there, too.
- And, it would be a shame if you missed a health promoting post! Don't forget to enter your email address in the gray box at the top of the blog!